Contact Me:

Follow me at www.twitter.com/crantina
Email TinaFab at: tina_garstad@hotmail.com

Monday 30 April 2012

so about those halfs...

Maybe my last post is a tad brutal. I don't mean it to be. But I am my own worst enemy. I am hard on myself. And I struggle with not feeling good enough, capable enough. This MIGHT not be related to running, but it trickles in.

Lets see...maybe I should do a race recap since last August.

August 2011 - did my first half. In Edmonton. Temps soar to 30C by 10 am. Yikes. I finished in a respectable 2:30.

Sept 2011 - Did Melissa's. Was supposed to be a 22k race. Ended up barely 20k due to race changes due to construction. Did it in just over 2 hours. Good race day, despite lack of water stations.

Feb 11, 2012 - Calgary Hypothermic Half. Struggled with nutrition issues and strong biting wind. Finished in 2:31

Feb 26, 2012 - Edmonton Hypothermic Half. Struggled with 15-18 cm of snow the night prior. Holy shit weather, batman! Finished in about 2:50. Damn. That was hard.

March 4, 2012 - Red Deer Hypothermic Half.  Not a bad race. Slippery and snowy. But still finished in 2:34.

April 22, 2012 - Tour de Airdrie. This was pretty hard going. Although pretty flat, a serious lack of water stations in a nice cooking heat of 23C. Finished up in 2:32. (Having a PB in a 10k race the day before (1:03) may have taken my legs...)

April 29, 2012 - Calgary Police Half. Can I say that this race has SERIOUS hills. Going WAY Up and Plummetting way down. And, I finished in 2:31.

I am in WAY better shape now that last August. And, a better runner. But my time has not budged. Now...lets look at this. I have picked races in some great Canadian winter conditions. Each race is different. Every time there is a new challenge. I run better, stronger. THAT should be enough. But a drop in pace eludes me.

My halfmara pace that is.

My other paces seem to be doing well:
Last year I ran 5km in 41 mins. This year I am closing in on 30 mins. In 2010 I ran 10km in 1:20, last August I hit 1:05, This past weekend I hit 1:03. I AM DOING SOMETHING RIGHT. (I'm yelling at my inside voice).

I am still chasing that halfmara pace. I will get there. 

But first concentrate on my marathon - The Calgary Marathon.

Then next up... Millarville Run to the Market! My 6th half of the year!!


No comments:

Post a Comment