Pull out your retro running gear and vintage duds from the tickle trunk! Professional race photographers will be on the route and at Stampede Park capturing pictures of the best costumes. Celebrity judges will be watching the finish line and will name The "Best Dressed of the Decades". Winners will be contacted after the race and winners announced online on June 9. You must finish the race in your costume to qualify!
What can you win? (check here for details on the FAB prizes!)
Grand Prize: RUN BARBADOS WEEK-LONG PACKAGE FOR TWO
First RunnerUp: RUN TORONTO WEEKEND PACKAGE FOR TWO
Second RunnerUp: RUN VICTORIA WEEKEND PACKAGE FOR TWO
Need some ideas?
Me and some of my running pals have snapped a few pics to help YOU come up with a few creative ideas! A SUPER FAB shoutout to Cori for all her enthusiasm and ideas to help me write this post!
Some 70s inspiration from Lindsay!
(what you didn't think I was an 80s girl?)
Amanda shows off her 90s neon!
Shall we play GUESS the Decade with some awesome musical tributes
Thanks to Susan, Cori and Nikki for some inspiring running duds inspired by Elvis, Madonna and..my personal fav...the Grunge Runner!
Remember that you can wear run gear UNDERNEATH costume gear...
And, don't forget about using fabric paint! Always awesome for costumes!
(you could use it instead of jewellery...again...google search engine is YOUR friend!)
If you still are not inspired...Check out my PINTEREST for some great ideas pinned there by me and Cori.
AND of course for EVEN more inspiration....
Tina Fab's Top 10 hints for making "dressing up" easy!
- Keep An Open Mind. This is FUN and enjoy it. Check out all the pics online and be inspire. You would be surprized at all the fun things you can do with your running gear.
- Be Creative. You can customize your shoes with colorful duct tape or even KT tape.
- Do a test run. You know the rule nothing new on race day? Yeh. MAKE SURE you TEST your costume? You want to minimize mid-race unpleasant discoveries.
- Vaseline is Your Friend! Use liberally to avoid serious chafing, especially if it is raining (this specifically relates to unpleasant discoveries).
- Safety Pins are Your Friend! Pinning props (necklaces, anything that may move) to your outfit helps prevent bouncing (you’ll know what to pin from your test run!!!). You can also safety pin a tiara or headpiece to a hat or visor. FYI – carry safety pins with you (say, in your water bottle pouch) for emergencies.
- Think Breathable! Not cotton. Wear lycra, or whatever wicking fabric floats your boat. THEN put the “costumy” stuff on top.
- Don't Use Cheap Makeup Kits. If you are going to PAINT your face…use theatrical make-up, such as Ben Nye (this stuff lasts forEVER!).
- Don’t use hairspray. Remember you will sweat. Think burning eyes. And, trust me. NEVER use hairspray. If you want to set your makeup…use what some of the fab pros I know use - Urban Decay's All Nighter. Still, I might not spray anywhere near your eyes.
- Dressing Up Can be Aerodynamic. Just because you are in costume doesn't mean you cannot run a great race or chase a personal best.
- Revel in the Awesome. Expect some commentary. and have fun with it. There will be cheering. And it is kinda motivating! At many marathons there are always those who run in costume to get a World Record!
AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST!!!
Fame Awaits, people!
Work the Crowd. Spectators are going to love you. Use their enthusiasm to your advantage.
Have YOU run in costume?
What is your fav costume you have run in?
Or Seen at a race?