Contact Me:

Follow me at www.twitter.com/crantina
Email TinaFab at: tina_garstad@hotmail.com

Sunday 22 March 2015

Race Recap: Run for Larche 5miler

Do you ever have a day when you wake up and say "Ugh!", press snooze then pull the covers over your head?

Yup. SATURDAY was that day.

And then I hauled my sorry arse outta bed, got dressed an went to run a 5miler.

AND THEN HAD THE MOST FUN EVER!

I have done the Run for L'arche a few times now - the half mara distance and the 5miler. And it is a great community run -- very well organized. And, frankly some of the BEST cheer squads and volunteers in any race I have ever done. I hadn't run the 5mile distance at this race since 2013 and had decided that after winning entry to this race I would "stick to the plan" and do the 5 miles.

I ran a 5miler 3weeks ago, had a heap of fun, but was slower than I wanted (56 mins). Still, not bad, but for the past week, I had a time goal for this one. Beat the last one. Then I mulled it over some more and went...hmmm. 50 minutes sounds good. That would be a PB for a 5 miler race. Yes. that will do just fine. Let's aim for that.
Now most of you who know me know I rarely DO time goals ...but I am trying to run shorter distances speedier in the hopes to drop it like it's hot at my next half marathon. But hey...if I don't aim or it, I am not gonna get it. So lets push. I know I can. 
So Friday after work I pick up my bib, package (yay...we get a new buff to wear too!) and shirt. I run into Karen (find her on twitter) - who then tells me her daughter did the artwork that appears on the race shirt. (check it out below) I make the decision right then to wear race shirt at race - total good race mojo if I know the artist! Katie and her mom often volunteer and cheer at a few local races - and Katie is a client of L'arche. It's nice to do a race for an organization that does great work - even better when you know people who benefit directly from the programming. The fact that someone who I think has the best smile and great energy will be waiting at the finish with a medal is total motivation!

Then I notice my bib number. 550. huh. 5 in 50 it is. I smile and realize ima gunna have a reminder of my race pace the whole way so I better make it count.
 I go home, lay out my gear, eat a little pasta and go to bed at a decent hour.

And wake up with a raging headache. BOO. 

That's ok. Get moving. Just need to run, it'll pass. I get to the race, run into Karen and we go off to find Katie at the start line.
And then of we go. I say outloud I need my headache to go away. We laugh and discuss scenarios (run fast til we pass out to stop the pain). I figure I will run along with Karen for a bit and see where it takes me. Pretty much she is pacing me faster than I might normally run, but I am feeling good, so I roll with it. Before I know it we are at the 4k turnaround!! Where there was the most FAB group of volunteers (From SERVICE MASTER) cheering us on! 
Sadly the photo I took of the "Don't Trust the Fart" sign didn't come out clear. (BAHAHAHA)

Karen is just ahead of me so I aim to chase her to the finish. I keep up pace, even passing several runners who were ahead of me most of the way. For the most part, I feel great. I am pushing, thinking 'gah...keep going'! I slow down a couple of times. At one point, with 3k to go I take a fast walk break on the bridge and I fast forward the music to a favourite motivator -- The Ding Dong Song (HEY -- no judging). OK - this song is redic - but for some reason it makes me laugh and push thru to RUN!

Because EVERYONE needs to hear Gunter sing "you touch my tralalala" here you go: 
(Video is not family Viewing)
You are WELCOME!

sorry...now where were we?  
oooh Yes with Gunther in hand (snicker) I boogie towards another set of awesome volunteers.
I have to get a hug and photo! 

And back I go. smiling all the way. today started meh and was finishing so awesomely. Fun, fun, fun. I gotta say - not sure if it was the case - but it felt like there were a pair of volunteers cheering us on every 500 metres. It really was great. I press on to the finish and get my medal, then see Katie for a hug and hi5!! And then turn off my watch.

I go inside to warm up and then realize I might have run 49 mins ... HOT DAMN. Nope...as it turns out, I was close. 50:30!!! Not under 50 YET. But it is still a personal best for the 5 mile race.

I feel happy and so grateful to have got in a good solid strong FUN run. Having a run like that reminds me that I AM on track and just need to stay the course and will be just fine if I keep on with the training! (yes...believe, persevere, transcend ... it will happen). I ran better because I pushed thru and RAN more, kept up pace and didn't let my mind wander. HELLS YEAAH! Now to keep that shizz up for 20+km!!

I hung around inside for a bit, enjoyed a coffee, some fruit and then came out to hang and cheer the half marathoners in. I moved up towards the bridge at tseveral minutes past 2 hour mark to watch for Tara to cheer her on. I waited .... and finally she came in. She looked a bit pained so as soon as I spot her I start running alongside the last couple hundred metres with her yelling...move it,c'mon lets go...FASTER! ...I think I made her laugh.
 Clearly running while trying to snap a pic of Tara did not work so well. 
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. That was fun. A great start to the morning!! And then despite being a bit chilly stood out and cheered on runners for the next hour! Yay for balmy March weather too! Yup. LOVE a good community race!
Hope you all had a great weekend of running! 

**************
All race proceeds of this race go to support the L'Arche Calgary community. L'Arche is an international organization of communities that create homes and programs for people with developmental disabilities.




3 comments:

  1. Awesome race!! Very well done indeed, Gunther approves :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great time! Glad that you had so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on your PR! I didn't see you there.

    ReplyDelete