Contact Me:

Follow me at www.twitter.com/crantina
Email TinaFab at: tina_garstad@hotmail.com

Wednesday 18 January 2012

Deep Freeze

It's cold. like, totally COLD. Yeh, yeh, Tina. You're Canadian. It's winter. Of course it's cold. Don't be such a sissy.

-40 aint no picnic
True True. But it's TOO COLD to run. SERIOUSLY cold. As in MINUS 40. (yes that magic temp where Fahrenheit and Celsius meet). Glad they are so social, but to be truthful...that temperature is no fun. Even for a hardy Canadian. No matter how long you live here, you don't get used to it. True True. But it's TOO COLD to run. SERIOUSLY cold. As in MINUS 40. (yes that magic temp where Fahrenheit and Celsius meet). Glad they are so social, but to be truthful...that temperature is no fun. Even for a hardy Canadian. No matter how long you live here, you don't get used to it.

Brrr. You don't believe me? This is a me after being outside for 10 minutes. Trying to start my car (unsuccessfully). Then plugging it back in. And then saying F*ckIt and heading back in to wear some PJs for the rest of the day. I warmed up with a lovely little curry. Nothing says eff you to some chilled bones like a hot and spicy dish.

I feel badly that my last "real" run was on Sunday. It was -29°C (that would be -20°F). I did 13 km. It was HARD. the wind howled and it HURT!!!! My skin burned more than my thighs. Funny that it used to be my thighs, legs, that hurt for days after running that distance. Now, it seems that I run 10km without any tightness...gotta do a 10miler or more to feel the sore legs. HA! It’s a nice feeling being in a lot better shape. 

I digress. I tried something new on my run last Sunday. I fear if this nasty Canadian weather sticks around I am gonna have to use it more often. Which is good. Cause i LOVED it!!  Oh yes! Kiehl's Cross Terrain UV Face Protector (SPF 50). It rocks. Sure it's a "men's product". And it's a sunscreen that gives you UVA/UVB protection in extreme weather conditions. 

Well, first of all. Ignore that it's in Kiehl's men's line. It is for everyone! I know skiers who use it and swear that it prevents that nasty wind burn and chaffe you get. Well, after putting it on my face and going for a long run, I too can kneel at the temple of Keihl. LOVE IT! No chaffing. No chapping. No burning. It rules! 

I figure i am gonna be using an awful lot of it in the next few weeks, since Winter isn't going anywhere. (Just c'mon Mutha Nature....warm up to -15...pleeeeeaaaase). I wanna run outdoors. I hate the dreadmill and need to feel the road. 

Courtesy of Lululemon
Up until a few months ago, I wouldn't have cared a fig if it was colder than a witches tit. I don't run in the winter. Then I started running with a purpose and now i love it so much I feel the need to go for runs regularly. Like, 5x a week. 

Maybe I should mention that I am registered in THREE half marathons in the next month. Aptly named "Hypothermic Half Marathons", I am doing one in Calgary Feb 11, in Edmonton on Feb 26 and in Red Deer on March 4. 

It's a grand adventure this new year running resolution! Faster, Stronger, Further 

So then in April, there is another HalfMara in store. May brings my first Marathon (holy sh*t!). So...these halfs will be fun and further my endurance training. I have two buddies - Calli and Lisa - who are on this crazy adventure with me! Strength in numbers, right? We are all so ready to rock it (dare I call us the Hypo Honeys? Badass Bitches? Stone Cold Vixens?) 

Calli is kicking off the BastShitCrazy with the Tinkerbell. I will do the TinaTink in Calgary, and Lisa with get her Tink on in Edmonton. That way we are kicking off 4 HalfMaras in 6 weeks! Wahoo. Welcome to the BSC club. And yeh, one needs to definitely use the Kiehl’s to keep up one’s youthful exterior.

Bring it On!

Oh yeh…and I think I forgot to mention Calli is bringing back Sparkle Skirts for us! Wooo hooo. I am beyond excited! 





No comments:

Post a Comment